Curly coat almost hid a real problem on Biscuit this week
Down here in horse country everybody's outside a lot this time of year, cat included, and I nearly missed a raw patch entirely since the curl in his coat just naturally covers everything so well. Vet confirmed flea allergy dermatitis once I finally parted the fur enough to see it properly, said curly-coated cats often get diagnosed later than a straight-coated cat would purely because of how well the texture conceals things.
33
Glad you caught it before it got worse, that curl really is deceptively good at hiding things. Biscuit's lucky you kept looking closer.
Curly and long coats both share this particular flaw of hiding things a straight coat would reveal immediately. If anyone's curious about the breed, listing page here: https://allinpets.com/pets/cats/selkirk-rex/
This mirrors what I've learned with Pixel's curly coat too, texture really does change how visible a problem is regardless of severity underneath. There's a thorough piece covering this exact scenario: https://allinpets.com/blog/dogs/flea-allergy-dermatitis-in-dogs-signs-causes-and-treatment-64/